May 29, 2012

What Music To Listen To On The Job



Bit Rebels


What Music To Listen To On The Job To Stay Focused [Infographic]

Posted: 28 May 2012 12:00 PM PDT

Advertise here with BSA


I am sure I am not the only one who just has to rock out to some rock n' roll or chillout techno while I program or write new articles. It helps me concentrate and focus like I would never be able to do if I didn't have music to listen to. I don't know if it is the "noise" that makes it easier to concentrate or not, since I don't have to focus on anything else. Anyone who is heavily into coding knows what I mean. The code, algorithms, processes and functions are usually interconnected, which means that you really have to keep track of everything you add in order for it to be optimized. I am not going to go into that whole aspect of it all, but I think it has something to do with that and how you don't have to pay attention to anything outside of your "zone."

What kind of music should you listen to while you are working to keep you focused? Do you have some secret "recipe" that always keeps you on the target? Maybe even a certain kind of style of music? Well, if you don't, don't worry. It's not entirely too late to pick up this habit actually. All you need is a little bit of guidance, and it should be all good. You can certainly find that guidance through the infographic that Sonos put together called Working Jams: What Music Should You Listen To On The Job?

After some research, they compiled a list of music styles and put them all into categories of professions based on what people said they were listening to while working. The result is a median for what the average person is listening to while trying to focus on the job. More and more music is introduced into our working environment, but the radio is still the one thing people are listening to it seems. Maybe it is because of the news that sometimes interrupts the music itself, or maybe it is just to hear the commercials. The reasons could be many, and to write about them all here would make this article quite a lengthy one.

So if you don't know what music to listen to, just have a look at this thing, find your profession and then see if anything in there is appealing enough for you to start listening to it. Of course it's not a must; however, take this as what the average programmer is listening to for example. I am sure there are programmers out there who would rather listen to stuff like classical music or something in that area. Music makes for a better mood, better dedication and a more positive day overall. Well, I guess that depends on what music you end up listening to. But again, this is based on the average person.

Click Infographic To Enlarge

job-related-music-style-infographic

Via: [Daily Infographic]


Techie LED Matrix Glasses Will Hypnotize Anyone

Posted: 28 May 2012 11:00 AM PDT

Advertise here with BSA


One of the coolest aspects of working with tech trends is that you always get to see the trippy stuff right when it is created. What I mean is that as soon as something hits the Internet, there is a great chance that it is either sent to us by a reader, or someone tells us about it. That alone keeps us on the living edge of tech pretty much 24/7. Of course, it also depends on how much time we have to check it all out, but usually we dig through everything that comes into our inbox. The coolest things get the speed patch, and the rest go into the archives so that we can pull them out if we feel inspired to write about them in a day or two. As I said, it all depends on the room available on the site and how much time we have to write about it.

One of the cool tech things that we just have to feature are the LED Matrix Glasses that Garrett Mace created for his local maker fair. If you ever saw the glasses that Lady Gaga sported in the beginning of her successful career, you might have gotten addicted to tech glasses. These do not have TV screens in them, but they do actually sport some rather insanely cool sinus waves that will probably hypnotize anyone into looking straight into your eyes.

These glasses, which are made up of 20 x 6 LED lights, are driven by SPI from an integrated Arduino-compatible. The fact that Garrett actually managed to incorporate this highly technical solution into a pair of glasses is just beyond me. It's some major micro building that just has to be called epic. I am sure he will get some requests for future glasses from every imaginable pop star out there. They do make for a pretty cool image, if you ask me. I have no clue whether Garrett is planning to sell these things, or if this was just a one-off project that he wanted to accomplish. If they are for sale, I definitely have to have a look at them.

led-matrix-light-glasses

led-matrix-light-glasses

Via: [Technabob]


Commodore 64 Key-tar Promises 8-Bit Rock For Geeks

Posted: 28 May 2012 10:00 AM PDT

Advertise here with BSA


Someone I have to thank for starting me out using computers is actually my brother who bought a Commodore 64 back when they were brand new. I used to sneak into his room and code some simple basic when he wasn't home. I had my very own cassette that I saved my "work" on. Usually it was some rather epic (or so I thought) text adventure where I also tried to create some ASCII art. Anyone who started out on the Commodore 64 knows about the retro way of making simple things happen. It wasn't exactly the fastest of programming languages, but it did the job, and it was one of the most popular ways to start out programming, at least back then.

Believe me when I say that when I saw this build I almost shouted, "Blasphemy!," and rather loudly I might add. To take a retro computer like that and convert it into a guitar has to be one of the most badass mods I have ever seen. It breaks my heart, yes, but at the same time I think it makes for a beast of a guitar, or key-tar rather. If anything, it totally has that 8-bit oomph to it that pretty much every player is after when he or she rocks out on stage.

This Commodore 64 Key-tar badboy, created by Jeri Ellsworth over at Valve, would definitely make a good addition to any geek band out there. You know the ones that play the SID-chip music? This is like that, only it's just a little bit updated. You gotta love that kind of music. But if there was a way I could reverse the building of that key-tar, I would totally try and grab that Commodore 64 and run for it. I mean, the things you can do with those these days. You can probably mod it to infinity, which this totally is proof of. However, it's the original which makes it all so retro, so it breaks my heart to see that thing attached to a bass. Everything has a recycle value, I just didn't want it to be as destructive as this one. Well, it still has a good use, so I have to agree with the awesomeness of this thing.

commodore-64-bass-guitar

commodore-64-bass-guitar

Via: [Technabob]


You are subscribed to email updates from Bit Rebels
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google
Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610