May 12, 2012

BIT REBELS SAY "YOU ARE WHAT YOU TWEET." (so bit me!)



Bit Rebels


You Are What You Tweet [Infographic Generator]

Posted: 11 May 2012 12:00 PM PDT

Advertise here with BSA


I always say that if you really want to get to know what someone is all about, just look at the tweets he or she has sent. You can derive all kinds of information about people like whether they are generally positive or negative, whether they like to pick fights and squabble with people, whether they are helpful, what they like to do in their spare time, and how they treat others on Twitter, which by the way I think is a general indication of how people treat other people on other sites too and even how they interact offline. In other words, your online persona is an extension of your IRL persona. It's all very closely intertwined.

Whenever someone wants to be a guest writer on Bit Rebels (we have a link at the top of the homepage that invites people to be an author), the first thing we do is check out his or her Twitter stream. For many people, and companies, Facebook provides the information they want, not Twitter. I prefer Twitter though. To me, scoping out someone's Facebook is almost an invasion of privacy, and it feels wrong.

So that brings me to my next question which is… What is the impression you are giving off to people on Twitter? Do you care? Maybe not. If you do want to know in general what your Twitter stream screams to other people, and if you'd like a way to waste five minutes of time today which you'll never get back, I'd like to suggest that you check out this Twitterize Yourself infographic generator by visual.ly. We've written about these kinds of things before. The one called What About Me? looked really neat on the surface, but Richard wrote in his article about it that it's somewhat suck-worthy. This one though is a lot of fun, and it spits out an actual character which represents you.

I'm not a designer, but I think it's cute that this algorithm thinks I am. I don't have blue eyes, but I gave them to myself in this pic because a girl can dream, right? I definitely do like cupcakes, and somehow it figured that out from my Twitter data. If you would like to generate your own Twitter character, just click on the link below! Keep in mind, you do have to sign in with Twitter to make this work, so remember to go into your Twitter settings and "revoke access" when you are finished!

Twitterize Yourself

You-Are-What-Tweet-Infographic

Twitterize-Yourself-Infographic-Generator

Header Image Credit: [slodive]


Unreal Deteriorating Star Wars AT-AT Refuge

Posted: 11 May 2012 11:00 AM PDT

Advertise here with BSA


The sad thing about everything that exists in the world is that everything has an expiration date. Everything deteriorates sooner or later, and we have seemingly not come up with anything that can stop that. It has come down to a matter of maintenance and upkeep in order to make something last longer. Look at the great pyramids of Egypt for example. They have been standing for thousands of years, yes, but they are nothing compared to their glorious days when they were just finished. I think I read somewhere that if humanity disappeared today, nearly all buildings and structures will fall to the ground within 200 years. And within 20,000 years, there will be no trace of the human race at all.

Well, let's not be so depressing as to discuss that today. The point I want to make is that even though you are living in the Star Wars galaxy, things still fall apart and deteriorate. That is something that Dimitri Kaliviotis is clearly aware of since his latest model build of an AT-AT has become an Abandoned Refuge (which is also the name of the build itself). It's one of those miniature model builds that if photographed up close, would look super real, I am sure.

The detail of this insanely cool way of depicting the Star Wars galaxy is not only impressive, but serves a reminder that nothing lasts forever. This even includes the reign of the rebels in Star Wars, so George Lucas… when will we see more Star Wars movies? This piece of Star Wars art is something that I could keep staring at for days! The elaborate planning of this piece makes it almost impossible to believe this is really a model. Amazing work!

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

abandoned-at-at-refuge

Via: [Geek-Art]


Make A Mother's Day Bouquet Of Flowers Out Of Cookies

Posted: 11 May 2012 10:00 AM PDT

Advertise here with BSA


This weekend it's already time to celebrate Mother's Day again. Each year when this holiday comes, I spend the day being grateful that I have Henry in my life. If you are a mom, you know exactly what I'm talking about. He's eleven years old, and he knows that he doesn't have to ever get me a gift for Mother's Day. He also knows that one of my favorite things to get from him is a flower. A wildflower handpicked from the backyard is much more meaningful than a dozen roses ordered online, but of course that's just my opinion. This week I stumbled across another kind of Mother's Day flower that I think I could really get into, and that's the sweet edible kind.

This is such a creative idea, and I'm sure it would put a big smile on the face of a lot of mothers. You'll see in the pictures below that these are two different styles of flowers. The first one is more of a pastry than a flower. These were created by Beth at Hungry Happenings. Each one of the petals of the flower is stuffed with jam or Nutella. You can get the complete recipe and detailed how-to at Daisy Pastries.

The second style is more like creating realistic flower cookies that you can actually use to create a bouquet. I'm blown away by how real these flowers look. These were created by the very talented Joanie at Blossomedge. Creating these cookie bouquets is her specialty, and it shoes. You can get the complete recipe and directions at A Bouquet of Daisy Cookies. Yum!

Mothers-Day-Cookie-Flowers

Mothers-Day-Cookie-Flowers

Mothers-Day-Cookie-Flowers

Mothers-Day-Cookie-Flowers

Via: [Edible Crafts] Image Credits: [Hungry Happenings] [Blossomedge]


You are subscribed to email updates from Bit Rebels
To stop receiving these emails, you may unsubscribe now.
Email delivery powered by Google
Google Inc., 20 West Kinzie, Chicago IL USA 60610